Our church stands in the exact geographic center of the town of LaGrange as it was configured in 1874 and is the oldest church in the community. Our first church building took three years to build (of stones from the old Stone Avenue quarry) and funds to build that church were donated by town founders Franklin Cossitt who along with another town father, David Lyman, deeded the property to the church. The church soon became the heart of LaGrange's social life, hosting parties, teas and picnics.
In December 1924, the olf church was destroyed by fire. To this day, the cause of that fire is not known. But the parishioners were not daunted. Less than three years later, the "new" church building was completed, with additions to that building in 1949 and later. The building was designed by noted architect John Neal Tilton who hired Gorsvenor Goodhue's firm as consultants on the project. Goodhue at the time was completing his work on the Rockefeller Chapel at the University of Chicago.
Most of the stained glass windows were not installed until forty years after the building was completed and are magnificent. They depart from tradition in that they not only depict from biblical and Gothic themes, but also modern figures including composer Ralph Vaughan Williams, who was still very much alive when the window was installed!
The church is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful in the Chicago area. It was featured in the movie "While You Were Sleeping" starring Sandra Bullock as the site of her parents' idyllic marriage.